Friday, November 18, 2011

expensive shopping

So besides the fact that we still didn't manage to organize a flat in Rehovot, we decided to shop for some toiletries in Tiberias. One of the things I wanted to buy was a simple eye-makeup remover. Easy peasy right? Wrong! I had the feeling that the lady in Superfarm did not want to speak English with me on purpose, but luckily I had Nisim as a translator with me. She drags us through the shop to the 'only' eye-makeup remover she has in stock. "It is definitely the best product currently on the market especially for my sensitive skin." And how lucky we are, they had an offer with two bottles for the price of 'only' 80 Shekel (about 16 Euro!). We managed to convince her to show us the Nivea products - again she picked the most expensive one, claiming it was the only one she had. I might not speak Hebrew but I am not stupid enough not to notice the much cheaper bottle next to the one she picked. At that point she was getting really annoyed with us, huffing and puffing something in Hebrew, before she stormed off. Just when we thought this could not get any more ridiculous, we found ourselves next to a table full of different makeup removers on sale. Unbelievable....

So lets see what I ended up buying in the end:
- big bottle of Shampoo (20 ILS = 4 Euro)
- body wash (10 ILS = 2 Euro)
- body lotion (20 ILS = 4 Euro)
- 150 ml Garnier Pure face wash (30 ILS = 6 Euro; reduced from 60 ILS = 12 Euro!!!!)
- eye-makeup remover (30 ILS = 6 Euro; reduced from 80 ILS = 16 Euro - seriously?!)
- nailpolish remover (13 ILS = 2,60 Euro; reduced from 23 ILS = 4,60 Euro)
- 2 toothbrushes (20 ILS = 4 Euro)

I should probably mention that I was greedy and bought the cheapest available products. In total I spend about 28 Euros on a few bottles of smellies. In Germany these things listed above would have cost me about 10 Euros in a standard pharmacy. Guess I'll have to get used to the prices if I don't find a way around it. The next morning I woke up in a sweat, huffing and puffing to myself how I could have wasted all this money... haha

No comments:

Post a Comment